Dan Lyons, former Forbes tech-biz hack and soon-to-be Newsweek star (replacing Steven Levy), was the creator of the superb Secret Diary of Steve Jobs. His shtick was to thoroughly channel Jobs, and the result was chokingly amusing but also yielded some superb insights into the tech and business scene. If you've never read it, definitely surf through the "best of" postings linked on the bottom right of the front page.
Lyons has put Fake Steve on hiatus, and launched a new blog under his own name, Real Dan Lyons. Starting with his first 7/27 posting, he's been doing an insightful and hilarious job of dissecting Apple's bizarre handling of the Steve-is-Sick scare. Lyons correctly predicted that Apple's stock price would stumble this morning, even after the "ambush" move with the NY Times intended to boost confidence.
Even if you don't care much about Jobs or Apple, it's worth a read for insight into how media works. Actually, this Fake Steve posting set the standard for that.
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #8
- Knol: So The Pushiest Loudmouths Don't Always Win
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #7
- God As Dude
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #6
- Action/Abstraction: Pollock, De Kooning, and Ameri...
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #5
- Fake Steve Jobs/Real Dan Lyons
- Chowhounding St. Paul
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #4
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #3
- E-Trade Ad with Baby and Clown
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #2
- Consistency, Niche, and the Art/Biz Dichotomy
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #1
- Comedy Central's TV Funhouse DVD
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears (Introduction)
- Air Conditioner Follow-Up (and a note about portab...
- Tip of Your Tongue
- Important Info About Pill-Taking
- The White Gym Socks of My Dreams
- How to Smuggle in Cuban Cigars....Legally!
- Getting Juiced at the Airport
- Leaving Oaxaca
- Oil Price Hikes Not Due to Speculation?
- Aztecs in Austria
- Oaxaca, Mexico
- Explaining Wine's Health Benefits
- Good Photography
- Watermelon Rind: A Potent Aphrodisiac
- Weird and Surprising Music: The Answer!
- Weird and Surprising Music
- Gay Pride Parade
- New Trends in Pedestrianism
- ▼ July (35)