Never, ever lie down just after taking a pill.
While in Mexico, I made the mistake of taking one of my antibiotic capsules (doxycycline) late at night, without enough water, and plopped right into bed to go to sleep. A few minutes later, I felt an excruciating searing pain in my lower esophagus, where the capsule had stuck, and no amount of water would dislodge it, and the caustic medicine burned into the esophageal lining. I am now the proud owner of an ulcerated esophagus (it should heal in a week or two).
Doctors and pharmacists all shrug and say "oh, yeah...sure." They know that this is a danger. So why, amid all the cautions and warnings, doesn't anybody tell the patients about this?!?
Ironically, the nerve that conveys hunger is right in this area, so I get extremely hungry...though, ironically, it hurts to eat! While the combination may sound like sadistic torture, it's actually good. Without the hunger boost, I probably wouldn't be eating.
Though it sounds awful, an ulcerated esophagus isn't actually all that bad. And, thinking back, when my mom had emergency quadruple bypass surgery and long recuperation, she didn't find that "so" bad, either. Nothing's as bad to live as it is to worry about in advance. We are an incredibly resilient species, but we worry way too much!
Again, please: take lots of water with pills. And never lie down right after.
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #8
- Knol: So The Pushiest Loudmouths Don't Always Win
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #7
- God As Dude
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #6
- Action/Abstraction: Pollock, De Kooning, and Ameri...
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #5
- Fake Steve Jobs/Real Dan Lyons
- Chowhounding St. Paul
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #4
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #3
- E-Trade Ad with Baby and Clown
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #2
- Consistency, Niche, and the Art/Biz Dichotomy
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #1
- Comedy Central's TV Funhouse DVD
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears (Introduction)
- Air Conditioner Follow-Up (and a note about portab...
- Tip of Your Tongue
- Important Info About Pill-Taking
- The White Gym Socks of My Dreams
- How to Smuggle in Cuban Cigars....Legally!
- Getting Juiced at the Airport
- Leaving Oaxaca
- Oil Price Hikes Not Due to Speculation?
- Aztecs in Austria
- Oaxaca, Mexico
- Explaining Wine's Health Benefits
- Good Photography
- Watermelon Rind: A Potent Aphrodisiac
- Weird and Surprising Music: The Answer!
- Weird and Surprising Music
- Gay Pride Parade
- New Trends in Pedestrianism
- ▼ July (35)