Monday, January 18, 2010

A Birthday Well Worth Celebrating

Apropos of the holiday, here are a couple of wonderful MLK quotes I hadn't heard before (and which I scarfed from Andrew Tobias' blog):

“We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny... An inescapable network of mutuality... I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
“If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.’” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: that last one, I'd go further and suggest that the street sweeper might subtly change the world via his loving, masterful work. And maybe I'm naive, but I believe it's possible.

No comments:

Blog Archive