Tuesday, August 30, 2016

No Less a Fish

So here's how I'm approaching aging. I believe this will take me as far as I need to go.

When I was a kid, I spent an afternoon at the aquarium watching a fish that had a chunk missing from one of its fins, and sported some deep gauges on its body. Plus, one eye was a bit cloudy.

As we often do while observing animals, I anthropomorphized him, pondering whether he even realized how imperfect he was. Had every missing piece, every non-optimal function left him cringing with horror? Apparently not. He just swam and swam, no less a fish; no less himself.


More detail on the fish story

2 comments:

Display Name said...

Thought about this post after what happened last night to me Jim. Skin cancer can be disfiguring and once in awhile I get "what happened to your eye???" A fourteen year old asked me this at the card shop when he was seated across from me and the crowd of about twenty magic players was relatively quiet as we waited for the draft to begin. I've always been a smart ass, I get that from my paternal grandmother and I had a response ready this time. I just said in a quiet and sad voice "the borg inplant didn't take. I had to have it removed."

Jim Leff said...

Great line!

Want to see the acknowledged master of great lines? Also one of my four or five top living heroes: http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhk0A758v5lEkmCKrk

It doesn't matter! Just keep swimming!

Blog Archive