Donald Trump was not a great evil. Not a fearsome bogeyman. He was a cautionary tale of the potential for one badly-damaged little dude to project his psychological issues on the world at large. None of the historical conquistadors and tyrants were great. They were all the same deal: small, damaged, insecure people externalizing their fragile egos. Please remember this, citizens of the 28th century and beyond: it's always just some damaged asshole channeling deep negativity to project their petty, sad, inadequate internal issues. The ease with which this can occur is extremely disconcerting.
As I said earlier, we are privileged to experience this deep truth - to learn it viscerally from right there, right now, rather than reading about it from a distance - even though this up-close view has curled our souls a bit.
We know things about the world that succeeding generations might not.
Required viewing: A Face in the Crowd. A classic film about a small, damaged, insecure person externalizing his fragile ego.
In fact, I'd make the case that there is no such thing as "evil"; it's all just the toxic repercussions of banal insecurity. The country - the entire world! - has been traumatized by the silly, transparent ravings of some random failure of a garden variety wacko. This isn't anything as awesome as Evil. It's just some guy as messed up as your brother-in-law or the dude who plows your driveway who arose at the right time, saying the right things to the right people.
- The Moral Peril of Over-Regulation
- My Presidential Platform
- Our Appliances Rise Up to Kill Us
- Only the Assholes are Sane
- The Myth of Judeo-Christian Monotheism and Indian ...
- Indian Swami on Christianity
- Russian Thinking Vs American Thinking
- Frickin' Bob Dylan
- Summing Up The Donald Trump Episode
- A Historic Moment of Free-Falling Dread
- Barack Obama: "The way ahead"
- Trump Apologizes for US Intervention on Serbian Ge...
- Trump Has A Huge Night at the Second Presidential ...
- Burning it to the Ground
- All My Election Predictions Were Wrong
- The Election Is Now a Historical Turning Point
- Perennially Unlearned Lessons
- How to Politely Explain Your Price Range to a Somm...
- Shakespeare Explains the 2016 Election
- The Republican Party Going Forward
- Interesting North Korean News
- Hijabs and Hypocrisy
- Resistance to Winnowing: The Bud Problem
- Resistance to Winnowing
- Baffling Public Reactions: OJ and Trump
- More Flips
- Mr. Smith, Ms. Palin, Mr. Trump, and Mr. Godwin
- Trump Leaks Twitter Feed
- ▼ October (30)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)