My second biggest shock today is that I don't hear any liberals or moderates expressing hope that Trump will rise to the occasion, that he'll do better than expected, and that he will abide by the bright promise he made this morning ("I pledge to every citizen of our land that I will be president for all Americans").
All I see is granite, clenched-jaw antagonism. That's how Obama was forced to launch his presidency, and we've been much the worse for it. The moment compels our best wishes, as much conciliation as we can muster, and our keeping (per Hillary Clinton's request this morning) an open mind.
Even if he keeps his worst impulses in check, we still won't love all his policies. That's okay, he won; his policies will reign for a while! But pre-hating out of fear and expectation, before he's even entered office, is what they did to Obama. Can't we be better?
I'll say to you what I once said to Mitch McConnell (on my TV screen!): if this president fails, that means we all fail. And if we want Trump to consider his better angels, why on earth would we solidify against him from the get-go, engaging his most transactional and self-serving impulses?
As an American, I want Trump on my side. So I will be on his side until he crosses a line - a truly actionable one, not just some vindictive tweet, or some policy I happen to disagree with (I didn't agree with Obama on all his policies, either, and I think he was a great president).
- Magicians and Their Secrets
- Pastor Jim Bakker wants to help you prepare for Tr...
- Black Friday Deals: Cooking Lessons and Instant Po...
- "Why Would Romney Even Want This Job?"
- Is Trump's Infrastructure Plan a "Trap"?
- Appalled By His Unexpected Moderation
- Another Rant About Reciprocal Extremism
- Apple's New Touch Bar
- A Public Declaration
- Four Ways a Trump Presidency Could Make Us Happy
- "Voting for a Bigot is Complicit with Bigotry"
- Tips, Tools and How-tos for Safer Online Communica...
- Trust but Encrypt
- My Second Biggest Shock
- Look, Love, Think
- White People Voting Trump
- Distilling the Essential Impasse
- Election Night with My Trump Friends
- Adrenalin in the Voter Booth
- Toots and the Camry
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)