Monday, March 4, 2019

Dump Your InkJet Printer

Ink Jet printers suck. They're versatile, yes, but not even close to good at anything (lousy color photo printing, amateurish color docs, and blurry, smudgey black and white text printing). Cartridges are completely unaffordable. And build quality is awful; these units are made to be essentially disposable. They're just utter crap.

I suffered for years because I told myself I needed color, and laser printers - while great, fast, and inexpensive to run, are black and white only. It never fully registered that I almost never printed color, or that the black/white printing that was my bread and butter was perennially blurry and easily smudged.

Finally, I bought myself a Brother HL-L2320D laser printer. And printing was fast, cheap, professional-looking, and "just works". It was three years before I found myself vitally needing a color printout, and, when I did, I discovered salvation.

Save your document as PDF.

Email it to print@printme.com.

They'll immediately send you back a code, and you have 24 hours to go to any participating print shop (including most Staples locations).

Upon arrival, enter your code, pay a few cents, and take home a really nice looking color print, way nicer than your old inkjet could ever manage.

If you don't get there before your 24 hours run out, no worries. Your file auto-deletes, and you can simply re-mail it and get another code. You don't pay a dime unless you actually show up to print.

I wouldn't want to do this 6 times per week, but I doubt most people have that many color print jobs.



If you're sticking with your terrible inkjet because of its terrible built-in scanner, get with the times. Do your scanning via smartphone. There are smartphone apps that will straighten-out, square-up, and auto-trim docs via your phone's camera.

5 comments:

Tom Meg said...

Funny, I ditched my inkjet and got a Brother laser printer last month for all the reasons you mention. Why do inkjets even exist? To feed Big Toner I guess.

Jim Leff said...

=======
Why do inkjets even exist?
=======

Complacency + irrational color panic. Printme.com puts the nail in the coffin of the latter.

I've used it once, btw. But knowing it's there soothes the irrational concern.

Humans are irrational!

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! After all I got a weblog from where I know how to in fact take valuable data
concerning my study and knowledge.

Jim Leff said...

Sleep it off!

Display Name said...

Tried this last night Jim. Thanks it worked great!

Blog Archive