Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Tech Didn't Do The Thing It's Supposed To Do and I Must Scream

I just paid $149, with tax, for this 3TB external hard drive.
In case you don't know, OWC ("Other World Computing") hard drives are considered the gold standard, with an unbeatable three year warranty. It's not that they're bulletproof super-high end kit; just think of them as business class: you pay a 25% premium to bypass absolute crap.
Over five years ago, I ordered a drive of the exact same size, also USB 3.0. And it cost $120. Five years ago.

Gordon Moore, why hast thou forsaken me?

That earlier drive was, in fact, crap. It was from Western Digital (I was very lucky it lasted a half decade). And, yes, it was a special sale deal from Amazon. But still. Five years. This is not how the tech universe is supposed to work. I am completely disoriented, writhing like an upturned bug, pathetic stubby limbs flailing, grievously unable to find the ground beneath my feet. I may not survive this.

2 comments:

jeff davidson said...

Kryder’s law has been broken since 2014.

Jim Leff said...

The drive is from 2015. Maybe I actually stumbled onto something here!

Blog Archive