This may come to be seen as the precise moment when the Trump election cycle pivoted from a surreal shitshow to a foundational realignment of our nation's politics.
As the Republican party has began to unravel in earnest (liberals would be wise not to celebrate; ask any Iraqi how liberating massive sudden destabilization and radicalization feels), this has become historical, not merely anomalous. So this is the point where viewing, pondering, and discussing the campaign and its increasingly complex repercussions is more than titillation or abstract horse race boosterism. With Trump's defeat a foregone conclusion (barring black swans), we can focus on the broader picture. This is a moment Americans need to witness carefully in order to adjust to the impending new normal. Paying attention now is a civic duty.
To stay up on the fast-moving action in real time, Twitter's your best shot (the TV networks are crap; all of them). I recommend two Twitter accounts, both prolific, smart, and staunchly anti-Trump. Josh Barro approaches from the left, Rick Wilson (who wrote the influential article I linked to this weekend) approaches from the right. Between their near-obsessive tweeting, and the equally smart people they retweet, you'll have an excellent perch on the action.
Speaking of civic duties, have you registered to vote yet (google for easy/precise state-by-state instructions)? Even if you're in a "safe" state, consider that an extremely sharp rebuke of Trump will help repair our standing abroad, and remove Trump's ability to claim he was robbed.
A massively important story got buried amid all the Pussygate outrage. America's formal rebuke of Russia for trying to influence our elections via hacking is both more significant (it signals a pivot by Putin) and less significant (it's no deep conspiracy; more of a cunningly executed provocation) than it seems. This superb analysis is a bit long, but an easy read that you absolutely shouldn't miss.
Lots of links, above, but if you're going to pay attention to politics once in your lifetime, now's the time. It's a privilege to live through history - even unpleasant history. I don't want to just read the synopsis later. This is not a moment to hit the fast-forward button; this is a moment to hit "play" and pay full attention.
- The Moral Peril of Over-Regulation
- My Presidential Platform
- Our Appliances Rise Up to Kill Us
- Only the Assholes are Sane
- The Myth of Judeo-Christian Monotheism and Indian ...
- Indian Swami on Christianity
- Russian Thinking Vs American Thinking
- Frickin' Bob Dylan
- Summing Up The Donald Trump Episode
- A Historic Moment of Free-Falling Dread
- Barack Obama: "The way ahead"
- Trump Apologizes for US Intervention on Serbian Ge...
- Trump Has A Huge Night at the Second Presidential ...
- Burning it to the Ground
- All My Election Predictions Were Wrong
- The Election Is Now a Historical Turning Point
- Perennially Unlearned Lessons
- How to Politely Explain Your Price Range to a Somm...
- Shakespeare Explains the 2016 Election
- The Republican Party Going Forward
- Interesting North Korean News
- Hijabs and Hypocrisy
- Resistance to Winnowing: The Bud Problem
- Resistance to Winnowing
- Baffling Public Reactions: OJ and Trump
- More Flips
- Mr. Smith, Ms. Palin, Mr. Trump, and Mr. Godwin
- Trump Leaks Twitter Feed
- ▼ October (30)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)