1. Donald Trump, even in his fact-free sycophantic bubble of narcissism, is quite well aware that tens of millions of people don't like him. We had an election for that (just recently!), where we had the chance to express this in a meaningful way (those who stayed home literally don't count).
2. So today there are massive protests, to impress upon Mr. Trump that people don't like him, period. Again, he knows that.
3. So what do we do when he actually does something? When he starts banning Muslims, or persecuting Muslim citizens? Do we trot this out again? The millions who dislike him - who he knew about, and who were tallied in November, and who marched in January - will be seen as griping yet again. Yawn.
Don't get me wrong, it's always fun to goad the opponent, by repeatedly reminding him that we're opposed to him, personally, period, regardless of whatever he actually does. But maybe we can stop "teaching" him something he already knows, and try something different; something that requires some balls. For example, would anyone out there care to join me in publicly declaring yourself Muslim? That move is still priced cheaply; the cost will only rise later. Get in early!
If you'd rather just vent your indignation, cool. Enjoy. But know that there are actual things that can be done.
The next time your urge to stand up and be counted will actually mean something will be during midterm elections. How focused are you on that? How much are you focusing others on that, and preparing to push everyone you know (and make them push everyone THEY know) to register?
Have you purchased subscriptions (digital or print) for every single news publisher you ever make use of or generally admire (see this and the final paragraph here)? Have you badgered everyone you know to do likewise in order to support strong independent journalism?
Will you more than double your normal charitable and political giving this year, past your pain point? (here are some suggestions).
Are you paying attention to local politicians, and supporting the good guys? And generally activating politically? (That doesn't mean reposting snarky FB posts and clucking your tongue at Trump's latest outrageous tweet. It means donating and working and trying and evangelizing, way past the point where it doesn't feel like fun.)
Are you ready to support pragmatic, generally sensible politicians even if they're not your most favoritest - even if they're imperfect and prone to compromise, and even if they don't shmear you with rhetoric about transforming the country into your most perfect snowflake dream? Liberals just spent eight years fuming at Obama for working the system rather than sticking it to the "bad guys." They backed Bernie, who offered them every possible pony. Now that stakes have risen, are you ready to get real, and maybe even feel affinity for right-wing Never Trumpers (read, for instance, Rick Wilson and John Schindler) who don't emanate that comforting tribal smell?
Are you staying up on issues by reading primary sources as much as possible (rather than trusting and parroting your usual media gatekeeper)? How in-depth will your command be of news and issues in the years ahead? Will you continue to merely accept bulleted talking points?
Are you reading widely across the political spectrum, and doing everything you can to broaden your views and escape your bubble? To maintain your resolve and values while finding empathy and common ground with those who view things differently? To recognize, for example, that lots of good people voted Trump for totally non-racist reasons?
Are you securing your online communications and (more important) helping less technically competent people do likewise?
Are you going out of your way to make Muslim, Mexican, and generally immigrant neighbors, workers, coworkers, waiters, busboys, etc. feel like somebody's got their back, and making sure they have your cell number?
Are you gonna do something other than just bitch about it?
- The Fan
- Midterm Elections
- How We Got Trolled Yesterday: The Story You DIDN'T...
- Nationalism: The Shrinking "Us" and the Swelling "...
- Crazy Like Foxes: We're Being Trolled
- Another View of Marches, Plus More Daily 202 Ravin...
- Skin in the Game
- Endlessly Reminding You That We Hate You
- The Inauguration's Empty Bleachers
- Maybe Cool it With the Sushi
- Car Stereo Layla
- Brace for President Pence
- Clickbait Score
- Official News feed of Democratic Peoples Republic ...
- A Quiet Truth About Working in the Arts
- Leaking Back to Russia...Or the Appearance Thereof...
- New Hero: Carlos Kleiber
- Trolling Trump on Russia
- High Impenetrability From My Pointy Pointy Head
- Cooking for a Sensation of Vitality
- Celebrate Good Times....Come On!
- ▼ January (23)
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)