I've been straining to articulate my ambivalence about spotting new venues (nightclubs, etc) in Manhattan that push my "looks fun!" buttons despite my aversion to actually taking part. I have an innate sense that they're not for me.
I could explain that I'm too old for the crowd, or too grumpy/shlumpy, or that I lack the requisite spirit of carefree superiority that comes from being raised by rich Manhattanite parents. All these things are true, but it doesn't quite sum up the dynamic.
Finally, after years of trying to explain my own perspective to myself, I've got it. Watching people go in and out of such places feels exactly like watching kids trick-or-treating.
- A Change is as Good as a Rest
- Another Perspective on Truth Rejection
- Trump's Potemkin Village
- Chowhound Thread on Union Square Cafe
- Ravioli Thingee
- Currently Good Pizza
- Explaining My Aversion to Shiny Fun Manhattan Plac...
- Follow My Twitter *Likes*
- Cornered Rat: The End Game Begins
- The Weird (and Quite Unnecessary) Graft-On of the ...
- ▼ March (11)
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)