When I was a kid, Polish jokes were all the rage. And it surprised me to discover that each culture has its Polish analog - a group deemed stupid. And its Jewish analog - a group deemed stingy. And its black analog - a group deemed lazy. How bizarre it was to learn that Norwegians tell jokes about "those dumb Swedes"!
The same negative labels persist all over the world, regardless of the group being pinned with a given label. And that's because plenty of people, of any given group, are, indeed, dumb, stingy, and lazy. Those are human qualities, but since our perceptions are set up to focus on the unfamiliar, we notice those qualities more readily in those unlike us.
We study the Other...and we don't like what we see. Men rue the cruelty of women; women rue the cruelty of men. Both are quite correct, really.
Racism, sexism, classism, etc. are nothing more than the incomplete registration of a perfectly appropriate misanthropy.
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- Bubbles, Slogs, and Selling Out: Part 14
- Nothing's Ever Shot To Hell
- Idiot Box No More
- Shatner Recites Palin
- Interesting Perspectives on Health Care Reform
- Bubbles, Slogs, and Selling Out: Part 13
- Charging for Access to News Sites
- A Different View of the Professor Gates Case
- Torchwood: Children of Earth
- Overextended Syndrome
- Updated Entry
- How to Make Friends and Influence People
- Just Relaxin' on Newtown Creek
- Recession Starting to Get Scary
- Raze Parking Lots, Put up a Paradise
- Important iPhone Tip
- Giving Misanthropy Its Due
- A Contrarian View of Racism
- ▼ July (18)