I like most Muslim people.
However, I don't like crazy hateful murderous Muslims (or, for that matter, crazy hateful murderous anybody).
See what I did there? That's a distinction. The ability to make one of those might not seem like much, but it's a rare feat in year 2015. After 7000 years of human civilization, even our best and brightest seem incapable of drawing the simplest of distinctions when their emotions (particularly their fear and anger) are the least bit roused.
So, once again, it pains me to observe that a great many Muslim restaurant and business owners are presently getting the cold shoulder from their erstwhile friends and proudly multicultural neighbors. Consider going out tonight, or some night soon, for Egyptian or Persian or Indonesian or Lebanese food, to show these neighbors some human solidarity.
Will we human beings ever learn to react to extremism with enlightened moderation rather than with reciprocal extremism?
- ► 2016 (202)
- Does the Social Universe Bend Toward Informality?
- Doctor Superior
- The Fourth Wave
- Let it Not Snow
- Sherlock Homeslice Strikes Again
- Name That Nationality!
- Aficionados, Snobs, Hipsters, and Garbled Writing
- Unconventional Means of Establishing Familiarity
- Anti-Muslim Backlash
- Aficionados, Snobs, and Hipsters
- Aficionados and Snobs: The Money Angle
- Aficionados and Snobs
- Dialogue on Suffering
- Bad Nights
- Obama's Legacy
- I Am Not Charlie/Je ne suis pas Charlie
- George's New Piano
- The Albatross of Me
- We're Outstripping Our Own Sci-Fi Future
- Weirdo Pasta
- ▼ January (20)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)