By age 30, two observations will have been seared into your awareness:
1. You never realized how good you had it during times when you had it good.
2. The things you thought made you happy were mostly just distracting your attention.
There's a lot more to these insights than you might initially think (for one thing, each explains the other). If you take them to heart, by the time you're 40 you may discover what truly does make you happy, and appreciate it in real time, rather than in perennial bittersweet hindsight.
- ► 2016 (202)
- The Joylessness of Mastery
- Embarrassed Hotshot/Flattered Footnote
- Why is ISIS So Brutal?
- Explaining the Epidemic of Non-Fact-Based Argument...
- Flag Issue Ambivalence
- Nina Conti
- Some Things to Consider (about violence, South Car...
- Lebron's Magical Moment of Inspiration
- Caitlyn and Rachel
- The Best Marketing Advice I Ever Got
- Extremism in Academia
- Happiness in Real Time
- String Theory and Obamacare
- ▼ June (13)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)