I know a grimy pizzeria, in a scrubby blue collar nabe, serving cheap pizza but also, very quietly, a short list of quite good Mexican items on the down-low. I never see other customers opting for sopes or quesadillas. It's all dry wall guys and FEDEX drivers scarfing cheap slices for lunch. Oversized working class white dudes whose car bumpers all seem to have "volunteer fireman" stickers. And, naturally, Trump stickers.
While I awaited my sopes, I watched the scene. Arriving customers warmly greeted the Mexican owner (a big, garrulous guy who, himself, wouldn't look out of place on a fire truck). Ordering was no-nonsense, but wives and children were tersely asked after in both directions, by name. I heard Donald Trump mentioned a couple times, but the Mexican dude didn't tense a muscle. He wasn't just shucking and jiving; he really relates to these guys. I bet he'd vote Trump, too, if it weren't for the virulent racism. Maybe he manages to overlook that part, just as they do.
The burly customers finish their pizza and wave goodbye with warm eyes, like with family. I, from another world, nibbling my sopes de al pastor, received more distant/polite treatment from the staff. I was "sir". The owner was with those other guys. And they were with him. And as Trump brashly blasted on CNN, none of the Mexican workers behind the counter ground their teeth. They're bought in. They like America. And they sympathize and identify with these guys. And here's the thing: I think they absolutely understand all about hijo de puta politicians who talk a lot of shit. They've seen that before, and would never blame the followers for being conned. Same as it ever was.
- "The Professor: Tai Chi's Journey West"
- Desperately Parched for Surprise
- Putin, Clinton, and Trump
- The Horrifying Portent of Brilliant Analysis of Do...
- David Chang's Unified Theory of Deliciousness
- The Broken Pendulum...or Why I Miss George Bush
- A Feel Good Story About Donald Trump Supporters
- The Subtle Rewards of Quiet Caring
- Victitude: the Sublime Bliss of Stress Tests
- Six Pointed Stars + Money = Scandal
- Lazy Fat Lonely Kings
- "The Asshole Friend": Why Trump's Supporters Will ...
- Warning: Icky Posting
- Realized, Shmealized
- Brace Yourself for Brazen Casual Racism
- ▼ July (17)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)