Thursday, November 10, 2022

Eric Trump’s Dog

I petted Eric Trump’s dog yesterday. Eric was not there. Reasonably nice dog. A bit glassy and distant.

I actually feel like my Zelig juju is contracting. This seems like a denouement.


Maybe not, though. Yesterday I also pulled a trigger (absolutely nothing to do with the dog, or Eric), via a small emailing action, that may or may not have a cascading history-altering effect. We shall see.

I have never felt bona-fide controlling or powerful for even a moment in my life. I feel like this kid, having fun in his lonely eagerness, rigging up cool stuff with his ball of string with no one particularly paying attentionThat’s been my model all this time. I’m him.

3 comments:

Tom Armitage said...

"Having fun . . . with no one paying attention." That pretty much sums up where I'm at these days -- in my senior years. I've become an increasingly private person which includes, as you know, playing music purely for my own enjoyment. Also, indulging my insatiable curiosity about all manner of things, but keeping the results of these excursions to myself.

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to puzzle this out. My guess is that you ran into his dog walker outside your favorite Starbux.

Jim Leff said...

Not far off, but it's more convoluted and nuanced.

I'm an inveterate chowhound. So the people I hang with and the places I go are edge-case-ish. For years, my tire repairman was one of East Harlem's largest landlords (he fixed tires just for kicks). I used to sit in with the house band at a groovy UWS cafe in the 90s, and it was a long time before I realized that the trumpet player was a major movie star.

It's not about rich/famous/powerful. That's not my thing. It's just that weird Zelig juju happens if you try a little harder to do the things you do. I don't write about this aspect of my life much, even here, because it would be hard to believe, and also people would incorrectly hear it as boasting. No, I'm well aware that none of it rubs off on me. I am a shmuck with a teeny life, terribly unimpressive. But I do rig some cool stuff up with my big ball of string. And once in a great while, someone notices. And such people, being noticers, tend to interconnect interestingly. That's really it right there.

Blog Archive