Sunday, April 2, 2023

The Parable of The Windows

Friends of mine ordered expensive new windows they could barely afford. The deal was for them to pay half up front, and the other half after installation.

The windows were installed, but were missing some minor element. The installer promised to return, but stopped returning phone calls after a few weeks.

My friends were horribly stressed over it. I asked them whether the missing element affected the operation of the windows. Nope. I asked if it affected the aesthetics. Uh-uh.

"So what's the problem, exactly?"

"We just want it finished. It's not finished"

"But they work fine?"

"Yes."

"And you've only paid half?"

"Yes."

"I don't think you have a problem. Either the installer will, one day, come back and complete the job, so he can get paid - and you get the completion you desire - or he won't, and you'll enjoy great windows for half price. A win for you, either way. The only person I see with a problem is the installer. He either needs to come back and finish the job - which he clearly does not want to do - or else take a loss on the windows. I suggest you accept your win with delight!"

I could not make my friends see the logic.

"You don't understand, Jim. The installer was SUPPOSED TO COMPLETE THE JOB. He DIDN'T COMPLETE THE JOB. The windows ARE NOT FINISHED. And he's NOT ANSWERING THE PHONE."

I take accusations of non-comprehension seriously, because history shows I can miss the point with glue-sniffy obliviousness.

"Let me check the facts here again. The windows work perfectly, right?"

"Yup"

"And they look perfect; there is no visible thing missing?"

"That's right"

"So the only thing missing is literally insignificant, and you currently enjoy a 50% discount on expensive windows due to a trivial missing part you'd never even notice?"

More anger, more protest, more insistence on how this was a NIGHTMARE.

Finally, after several threatening voicemails, the installer returned. Predictably (to me at least), he had to uninstall the windows and install similar ones (because, naturally, he couldn't get the missing part for the previous). He suffered a tremendous loss, my friends paid an ungodly sum they could barely afford, and the windows were functionally and aesthetically unchanged. Everyone loses; everyone stressed.

I present to you: "Human beings of Planet Earth", ladies and gentleman! Behold!

4 comments:

Peter Sward said...

Yup, that humans people. Good Grief, what stupidity.

Jim Leff said...

Yes, but that's only halfway there. You're all the way once you've affably, blithely inserted yourself into that pool.

Spotting stupidity doesn't make you smart, it just makes you observant! :)

Anonymous said...

Got stressed out just reading this... yikes.

Jim Leff said...

Yeah, sorry. I’ll try to post more positive stuff. Or at least mix it up better….

Blog Archive