If an item is worth $50 and you price it at $40, you will either be ignored (because there's clearly something wrong with it) or else be counter-offered $25.
It's been years since I've seen anyone accept an offer as-is.
I don't think it's stinginess. It's competitive imperative. People rush forward to perform the juice squeeze to indulge their adversarial impulses. An opportunity to conquer and crush! Unilateralism! It's a bit like Sue and the speed bump.
I recently posted an item for sale, making abundantly clear that the (very fair) $100 price was firm, and was flooded with messages ala "$85".
I replied to one:
Do you see any way to do this without launching a game of “Haggling and Screwing”?To be fair, current conditions make everyone overcharge now, to grant the sadists and conquerors their crushing victories. We charge $150, and let ourselves be bargained down to $100.
Can you imagine a universe where someone charges a fair price, and you pay that price, and you’re happy? Or does that sound empty and pointless? Am I silly for even suggesting it?"
I can't do that, for four reasons:
1. I'm generous, so I prefer charging a fair price and making people happy. That, to me, is the win.So I don't make many sales!
2. I'm efficient, and this route seems like a great big slobbering needless ordeal.
3. I don't like getting roped into dramatic shtick.
4. I don't negotiate with terrorists.
No comments:
Post a Comment