Monday, March 9, 2009

Obama Lifts Bush’s Strict Limits on Stem Cell Research

I fervidly rejoice in the Obama administration's decision today to lift the limits on stem cell research. But I recognize a fallacious argument when I see one. Obama pledged that his administration will “make scientific decisions based on facts, not ideology." Sounds good. But NY Times reports that:
"In making his announcement, Mr. Obama drew a strict line against human cloning, an issue that over the years has become entangled with the debate over human embryonic stem cell research.

"He said that he would ensure that his administration 'never opens the door' to cloning for human reproduction, adding, 'It is dangerous, profoundly wrong and has no place in our society or any society.'”
Sounds like ideology to me. And I share that ideology - I don't want to see cloning, either. But I'm inclined to be feel sympathetic to those upset by today's announcement. I may not draw the moral line where they do, but I do draw moral lines. As does Obama. So we oughtn't pretend that morality has absolutely no place in any of this.
.

No comments:

Blog Archive