Thursday, April 9, 2009

New Orleans Trip, Part 4

by guest slogger Paul Trapani
Our final breakfast was at Dizzy’s (in the Whitney Hotel at 610 Poydras, 504-212-5656). Their jambalaya omelet contained ham, sausage, shrimp, tomatoes, cheese and eggs and made me glad I'd ordered it despite being the menu's highest priced omelet. You can see my wife’s equally excellent bacon omelet in the background. I was heartbroken when the waiter came back from the kitchen to tell me they were out of biscuits, but my spirits lifted when he brought an order of perfect buttered toast instead.


Anywhere but New Orleans I’d be surprised to see an Oompa Loompa asking for directions in a shopping mall...


...or jars for arsenic and Horlicks Malted Milk side-by-side on the same shelf!


During a visit to the Garden District we found Still Perkin’ (2727 Prytania St., 504-899-0335), a great little cafe, and hung out on the patio for a bit. I had shrimp corn bisque, which was scrawled on a sign as a special. It was spicy, delicious and tasted nothing like restaurant food. The cafe au lait pictured below was also great as was coffee granita. The sad chocolate chip cookie you see sulking to the left was dismal, but the unbelievably good lemon crunch cake made us forget all about it.



Sadly, the trip came to an end soon after, but we had a blast and I’m already thinking about returning next year. I’ll close with some miscellaneous tips:

Great pralines and other candies at Leah’s (714 St. Louis St., 504-523-5662). I prefered the softer creamy pralines to the traditional style.

Napolean House (500 Chartres St., 504-522-4152) is a great place to go for drinks. They make a big deal about a British drink called Pimm’s Cup (flavored gin and lemonade with a cucumber), but I preferred the old school New Orleans Sazerac (sugar, rye, bitters, Herbsaint, lemon).

If you’re like me, you won’t be able to resist stopping at The Kerry Irish Pub (331 Decatur St., 504-286-5862), a real Irish pub in the French Quarter, for a Tullamore Dew or other Irish Whisky either to start or end your night.

No comments:

Blog Archive