Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Keep Safe While Grieving

I've had sad occasion to send messages akin to the following many times to grieving friends over the years - including, alas, this morning. And it occurs to me that I ought to share it here, on the chance it might help keep a Slog reader safe one day while mourning a close friend or relative. Pass it on, please:
"Be real careful in the next couple weeks. A few days after my dad died, I felt that I was doing better, and figured I could drive. Before starting my car, I picked up my cell phone to make a quick call and found that my hand was trembling way too hard to dial the number. Of course, I got out of the car (and didn't drive for another week).

One reality of shock and grief is the absolute impossibility of self-gauging. So please give yourself way more recovery time than you may think necessary. Even be careful crossing intersections, etc."

No comments:

Blog Archive