Saturday, August 2, 2014

Oedipal Poultry

I just posted my account, on Chowhound, of Mami's, a Latino Steam-table in White Plains. Here's an excerpt:

As she apportioned, wrapped, and accepted payment for the food, I briefly wondered if I'd been recognized (for those who don't know, I've worked as a restaurant critic). I felt disproportionally IMPORTANT. She was paying way too much attention to me. Was she coming on to me? I couldn't tell. It was weird, though certainly anything but uncomfortable.

I rushed the food to my car, where I dipped in my fork for a quick taste, and that same brute force halo of attention and love roared forth. The young guys were correct. This is some extraordinarily sexy food. Oh my.

3 comments:

Display Name said...

I am drooling. Went over to CH to read the full post and when I clicked on the link for the photo it didn't work. Just a heads up.
Now I want to try my own local steam table again now that the grand opening furor has died down.

Jim Leff said...

Thanks, but the photo link seems to work ok for me!

What's your local steam table?

Display Name said...

It is Amarilis Cafe, Main Street Lansdale Pa
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/975474#8934561

Blog Archive