Saturday, January 28, 2023

Apple Announces M2 Computers. Buy M1!

Remember when I reported that computers are now fast enough? I.e. you will not notice the slightest difference between a current computer and one from 2/3/4 years ago (unless, of course, you do tons of compiling or rendering)? And that Apple's own M1 chip plays so beautifully with the operating system and with the rest of the hardware that the fahrvergnügen is off the charts?

After Apple's recent announcement of new M2 Macbook Pros and Mac Minis, Amazon has discounted M1 Macbook Pros (both sizes) by $500. Buy one. I promise you wouldn't notice the speed difference versus M2. Even though it's hefty. Because computers are fast enough (no one is reporting this, because neither computer companies nor the media covering the industry have any reason to encourage the complacency these products rightfully inspire. But anyone in the know would acknowledge it).

So if you're going to buy a laptop, buy these M1s right now. I'm typing on a bottom-of-the-line M1 MacBook Pro, and the display is dazzling, the keyboard is solid, the Fahrvergnügen is high, and the speed is adequate(1).
(1) - If you missed the reference, Rolls Royce never disclosed the horsepower for their Silver Shadow, advertising it as "adequate."
If you need a desktop computer, and own a 5K monitor, get the prev-gen M1 Mac Mini. If you don't own such a monitor (as I reported in link above, 5K has never really hit, and prices remain crazy) buy a refurbished 27" iMac 5K from Apple. The same monitor alone, sold separately by Apple, costs hundreds more! Caveat is that this iMac uses an Intel chip, not Apple silicon. You won't notice speed lag versus M1 (or even M2), but it won't feel quite as buttery.

Apple is due to refresh iMacs (and, for that matter, studio displays) soon. But I own the very same iMac (I'll sell this MacBook Pro once it arrives via slow boat), and am very happy with it. It's the best monitor, with a very fast not-quite-the-best computer, for less than the price of the monitor alone. Irresistible, and any other route will cost you more than a grand more.


Video reviews by the great Marques Brownlee (more on him), below. Bear in mind that he does a lot of video rendering, so he does need the extra speed/power. But, if you listen carefully, he's saying what I'm saying.

the new M2 MacBook Pro

M2 Pro Mac Mini

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of these day, when I have nothing better to do,I will calculate how much I’ve spent on Apple products from my first Apple IIC in 1982, to my current MacBook Air. Enough to own a nice house in Cupertino, I’m sure. Then again, they’ve given me tremendous pleasure and empowerment.

James Leff said...

1982! Woz, is that you?

I was more 1989-ish with my little Classic II. But I feel the same.

I’ve only very rarely used a PC. Maybe 10 lifetime hours total. But every time I do, I have the same recurring impression: this thing was made by people who have no idea what delight even is, much less interest/ability in delighting me in any way.

I can’t even blame them. Per one of my more counterintuitive observations, you can’t expect people to treat you better than they treat themselves: https://jimleff.blogspot.com/2019/09/expecting-damaged-people-to-self-repair.html

Boring grim grinders will never delight anyone including themselves. Let them build your PVC tubing or your waterproof drain housings. Not your computing environments!

Blog Archive