Thursday, March 21, 2019

There's Framing and Then There's FRAMING

In my recent posting "The Wellspring of Great Results", I noted, in reference to a photo I once took, that
...my driving goal is to accept all elements and conditions as they are. I found a framing that made it perfect.
This applies well beyond photography. We have infinite latitude in how we frame our reality - but forget we possess that freedom. Which is a shame, because there's always a framing that makes it all perfect. All of it. Including the pain and catastrophe we pretend to loathe and reject.

If you're drawn to this, even just a little bit, know that you're close to discovering that the framing that "makes it all perfect" is actually the default framing; the one requiring the least effort and contrivance. In fact, we work tirelessly (like princesses scanning for peas) to reframe the innate perfection as problematic. That's sort of our gig.

I also wrote that I maintain "a stubborn refusal to shoot until I giggle with surprised delight....maintaining a nearly religious faith that such a result is always a few millimeters away. For any given scene, there are billions of delightful framings, always." 


Further Reading
All postings on Perceptual Framing (I'd suggest reading from the bottom up)
My "Consciousness" posting makes a good starting point (along with the two links in the second paragraph above.
"The Visualization Fallacy" was the first of a series of postings (linked via footers) offering a sense of how vast and foundational the little-acknowledged faculty of framing might actually be.

No comments:

Blog Archive