Sunday, September 22, 2019

The New iPhones Feel Like iPad Nanos

I said a couple of days ago that while the new iPhones look amazing, I'd be opting for a secondhand iPhone X to replace my iPhone 7. I got a chance to try out an iPhone 11 Pro for a few days, though, and while the reception is as bad as I feared in borderline areas (it's fine if there's a strong signal), here were my other findings.

1. I have some games (e.g. PacMan 256 and Strategery) I only play on iPad, and would never think to try on a smaller-screen. But playing them on the intense, generous OLED screen of the 11 Pro was astonishingly comfortable. For the same reason, reading is much more enjoyable on the 11 Pro than on the 7.

2. Audio on the 11 Pro is incredible; totally blowing away even my iPad. I realize they compute the wazoo out it (same for the camera, which does its work much more via algorithmic calculation than lensing and aperture), and, sure enough, the processing is flagrant; nobody's idea of natural - much less audiophile - sound. But it nonetheless feels richly intimate and "wow". It blew me away.

3. After three days with the 11 Pro, I curiously don't feel disappointed returning (temporarily) to my iPhone 7. It's exactly like putting down an iPad and picking up an iPhone. The larger screen size of the 11 Pro; plus the "big-boy" sound/audio; plus the weighty heft of the thing; plus the easier readability; all contribute to make it feel much more like an iPad. It's sort of like an iPad Nano.

1 comment:

Display Name said...

Was at Costco today and checked out those phones. Nice size. They also had that kirkland green tea in bags for four dollars off a box of 100 tea bags. Sure hope this does not mean they are discontinuing them. I did notice the switch to totally overthinking it. Surreal sounds more fun. But then I eat surreal for breakfast: I was at my favorite park walking my chichaha mix dog Ninja when some kid called him a tiny dog. He wasn't even insulted. But then I saw it. Right there on the pedestrian only path a sleek shiny black Bently came cruising right towards us. Glorious to behold. This park has always been a magical place. Of course my Ninja thought he could take him and started barking and growling but standard daschunds named Bently are not to be trifled with. I had to rein my impetuous young boy in.

Blog Archive