Over the past few weeks, I've heard several accounts of perfect pitch recently starting to fade for people who'd possessed the faculty all their lives. Other musicians have reported hearing the same.
I'm no expert on perfect pitch, but, as a musician, it's something I've been around for years. (I, myself, don't possess it - and wouldn't want to, as it would annoy me when listening to musicians tuned above or below the standard A440, or using non-traditional and microtonal tunings.) But I've never before heard of perfect pitch fading. I'm guessing it's a new - or, at least, newly common - phenomenon, and surely a great subject for some enterprising psychology graduation student to study.
- ► 2016 (136)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (148)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)
- Mezcal Video
- Loss-Leading Luggage
- Great Mail Order Cookies
- New Year's Resolution Aid: Workouts
- Vladimir Posner
- Holiday Thoughts
- Bubbles, Slogs, and Selling Out: Part 2
- Airport Food
- Adios, Hermes
- I Did Not Know That
- The Deal on Steve Jobs' Health
- Free New York Magazine Back Issues
- The Dilemma of De-Ba'athification
- Random Bits of Web Surfing Goodness
- Love, Fault, and Loss of Innocence
- Chomsky on Obama
- Bubbles, Slogs, and Selling Out: Part 1
- Art-Hounding Hits a Snag!
- More on Perfect Pitch
- Those Freakin' Whiners...
- Godin Retrieving
- In Twenty Years, We'll All Drink Daily Milkshakes ...
- Devil's Advocate on Gay Marriage
- Is Perfect Pitch Dying Out Like the Honeybees?
- "Bag of Hurt" Watch Part 6: I'm Goin' YIDDISH on Y...
- Ballasting Happiness
- Chocolate Debunking
- "Bag of Hurt" Watch: Part 5.1
- "Bag of Hurt" Watch: Part 5
- Bush Doctrine Better for Goose than for Gander
- Not So E-ZPass
- "Letter of Reference and a Certificate Worth Frami...
- Why People Read Restaurant Reviews
- Brazilian Bus Driver Syndrome
- A Call to Eat
- Transcending Tom & Jerry
- ▼ December (38)