Monday, July 28, 2008

Chowhounding St. Paul

This is from a while ago, but few people seem to have heard it: I suggested to Dean Olsher, host of public radio's "Next Big Thing", that he have me talk him through the ropes of chowhounding while on the road in Minnesota. We recorded the whole adventure (a nightmare for Dean, needing to hold a cellphone in one hand and a recorder in the other), and it worked out so ridiculously well that it's impossible to believe it wasn't a set-up.

I wish I had the raw 90 minute tape for you to hear, to show the actual mechanisms that got Dean to a memorable meal, shared with a table full of strangers met along the way (I invited them by having Dean pass them his cellphone). It would also show that I actually breathe and pause (Dean and his staff were fond of editing me to enhance the cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs persona they had in mind for me). But this is all we've got. Listen here.

No comments:

Blog Archive