This is from a while ago, but few people seem to have heard it: I suggested to Dean Olsher, host of public radio's "Next Big Thing", that he have me talk him through the ropes of chowhounding while on the road in Minnesota. We recorded the whole adventure (a nightmare for Dean, needing to hold a cellphone in one hand and a recorder in the other), and it worked out so ridiculously well that it's impossible to believe it wasn't a set-up.
I wish I had the raw 90 minute tape for you to hear, to show the actual mechanisms that got Dean to a memorable meal, shared with a table full of strangers met along the way (I invited them by having Dean pass them his cellphone). It would also show that I actually breathe and pause (Dean and his staff were fond of editing me to enhance the cuckoo-for-cocoa-puffs persona they had in mind for me). But this is all we've got. Listen here.
- ► 2016 (202)
- ► 2015 (130)
- ► 2014 (147)
- ► 2013 (165)
- ► 2012 (209)
- ► 2011 (193)
- ► 2010 (175)
- ► 2009 (239)
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #8
- Knol: So The Pushiest Loudmouths Don't Always Win
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #7
- God As Dude
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #6
- Action/Abstraction: Pollock, De Kooning, and Ameri...
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #5
- Fake Steve Jobs/Real Dan Lyons
- Chowhounding St. Paul
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #4
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #3
- E-Trade Ad with Baby and Clown
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #2
- Consistency, Niche, and the Art/Biz Dichotomy
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears: Report #1
- Comedy Central's TV Funhouse DVD
- Priscilla Gets Bionic Ears (Introduction)
- Air Conditioner Follow-Up (and a note about portab...
- Tip of Your Tongue
- Important Info About Pill-Taking
- The White Gym Socks of My Dreams
- How to Smuggle in Cuban Cigars....Legally!
- Getting Juiced at the Airport
- Leaving Oaxaca
- Oil Price Hikes Not Due to Speculation?
- Aztecs in Austria
- Oaxaca, Mexico
- Explaining Wine's Health Benefits
- Good Photography
- Watermelon Rind: A Potent Aphrodisiac
- Weird and Surprising Music: The Answer!
- Weird and Surprising Music
- Gay Pride Parade
- New Trends in Pedestrianism
- ▼ July (35)